The Building Department ensures that residential and commercial properties comply with the building regulations set forth in Chapter 98 of Town Code and the New York State Uniform Code.
A building permit is required for a wide range of construction and property improvement activities, including, but not limited to:
- Foundation work
- Structural additions/alterations (e.g. addition or removal of walls, changes to size of exterior openings)
- Occupancy of new space (e.g. basement and attic remodeling, etc.)
Insurance Requirements / Waivers
Insurance Required - Contractors performing work associated with an issued building permit must have updated:
- Workers Compensation Insurance
On file for the duration of the project. The Town must be named as a third-party insured.
Any contractor eligible for exemption from Disability and Workers Comp Insurance must provide a signed CE-200 form. Any homeowners performing work themselves must also complete a CE-200 form and submit the signed form with the application materials.
View instructions for completing the CE-200 form (PDF).
- Building Frequently Asked Questions
- Permit Forms
- Building Permit Application (PDF)
- Plumbing Permit Application (PDF)
- Building Permit Fee Schedule (PDF)
Permit Information Sheets
Common Code References
- Residential Accessory Structures
- Residential Garages
- Residential Setbacks