Animal Control


The Animal Control office is responsible for ensuring all domestic animals (i.e., pets) in the Town of Irondequoit are cared for in accordance with town and state regulations, in order to promote public safety and animal welfare.

In addition to domestic animals, Animal Control is also responsible for the safe removal of animal carcasses from any Town-owned roadways and often assists with the removal of wildlife trapped on private property.

Dog Licensing Requirements

Any dog over the age of 4 months must be registered with the Town. Licenses need to be renewed yearly. Download and view the Dog License Application (PDF).

You may apply for a license by mail or in person at the Clerk’s Office (1st Floor) at Town Hall.

Please note, for a first-time license you are required to provide:

  • Rabies certificate
  • Proof of spaying or neutering

Licensing Fees

  • $9 for spayed/neutered dog
  • $18 for unspayed/unneutered dog

Code Restrictions for Dogs/Cats

All dog and cat owners in the Town of Irondequoit are responsible for the safe harboring and care of their animal(s) to avoid any public nuisance or property damage. For specific information regarding these guidelines please reference Chapter 79 of the Irondequoit Town Code.

Unattended Dogs Seized by the Town

All dogs seized by the Town will be safely held in a local animal shelter. If the seized dog bears a license tag the owner will be notified either in person or via mail.

Seized dogs will be held for the following time periods:

  • 5 days for an unlicensed dog
  • 7 days if the owner was notified in person, or 9 days if notified via mail

Lost & Found Pets

Follow our Facebook Page for the most up-to-date postings of lost pets in Town.

Please call Animal Control at 585-336-6052 if you have any questions.

If you'd like us to add your missing pet to the Facebook Page or report a pet that you've found, please call us at 585-336-6052 or email Animal Control.


Some animal-related issues and concerns are addressed and/or enforced through agencies outside of the Town. Below are some of the most common county and state agencies and the issues they are responsible for: